Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Would I Like To Play Charades?

drawingBoard, Scanned picture from a publication issued by the company S.K.F. (SKF) around 1940-45.

Charade

Decided I needed to do something with the movie Charade. It's been one of my longtime favorite movies since it was released. Besides having one of the all time best theme songs by Henry Mancini the movie is a great Dramatic Comedy.

Problems

During the first rip a problem emerged. I noticed the movie was a bit jumpy when I watched it. This wouldn't do. Luckily I still had the original VOB files. So here goes another rip. One of the things I failed to compensate for is the aspect ratio of the rip was widescreen and I forgot to click the correct tickybox. Everyone ended up tall and skinny. This last rip seemed to have solved all the previous problems...

The Odd Couple

Cary Grant & Audrey Hepburn are a seemingly odd pair for a romantic couple. But in the end it works. But they really are cliches of their time and I'm guessing that's how the studio wanted it. At that time they weren't looking to make edgy films, not like most of the spy thrillers today.

I think there are enough good scenes with them together to put together a nice little spy theme. I would have liked to do something like The Avengers [the British TV show] but I have yet to find a piece of music that captures that feeling.

Action

Anyway, there is definitely a lot less action shots in Charade than in the average spy movie of today. Less gunfire, less explosions, less of most all action scenes. Looks like I'll have to concentrate more on the what isn't there aspect.

There are some action scenes and some gunfire. And even some gruesome moments. Probably enough to get my point across.

Current Situation

I just got the movie re-ripped and clipping will start soon. I believe I've found a piece of music I like for it but that doesn't mean that's it. I'll continue to listen to others while I'm preparing the clips. Never know when that Avengers-like theme might just pop up...

No comments:

Post a Comment