Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sounds Like Mike Post

Mike Post

Mike Post

I don't think I've mentioned how much I love the music of Mike Post. In my previous vidding life I did quite a few openings with themes of this man. I don't think there was a more prolific theme writer. It's even difficult to describe exactly what it is that I love about his music.

It's bouncy and light and dramatic and brassy. It's all those things and more. And since it's so unique I think that's why I'm having such a hard time finding music that sounds like his work.

Does Anyone Sound Like Mike Post? Anyone?

One of the things I've been searching for is music I can use that sounds like something Mike Post would have written. I knew it was going to be difficult but it's turning out to be damn neat impossible to find. Most of the composers write moody, dramatic pieces or light and fluffy ones. Or they like to go either the full orchestral direction of synth it up to the max. But no one has, so far, captured the sound that is Mike Post.

And when I start searching on a new audio resource web site it's hard to think about the terms I need to input in the search box.

The List

Here's the list of Mike Post themes. I bolded the ones I've already done.
The A-Team, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Blossom, CHiPs, The Commish, Doogie Howser, M.D., The Greatest American Hero, Hardcastle & McCormick, Hill Street Blues, Hooperman, Hunter, L.A. Law, Law & Order, Magnum, P.I., Murder One, NewsRadio, NYPD, Profit, Quantum Leap, Renegade, Riptide, The Rockford Files, Silk Stalkings, Stingray, Tenspeed and Brown Shoe, The White Shadow, Wiseguy, the BBC series Roughnecks, and Philly.

A "Major" Difference

One thing I've noticed about music I'm looking for that sounds like Mike Post's style is the difference between using Major or Minor chords. Post used a lot of major chords in his music but most other composers go for the minor chords. And that's what makes it difficult to find sound alike music. They seem to be going for the emo side rather than the bouncy side.

Request

So it you know of any composers who have music available for free or a nominal fee, drop me a line. There's quite a few Mike Post opening styles just waiting to be made - if I can find the music...

No comments:

Post a Comment