Saturday, January 14, 2012

So, What You Gonna Vid Now?

drawingBoard, Scanned picture from a publication issued by the company S.K.F. (SKF) around 1940-45.
I've been thinking about this and I'm probably not going to do a lot of video to begin with. Mainly cause I don't have a lot video to work with. Shooting video takes time and also I am in need of a good tripod before I would start. I have a couple of ideas that will come before I begin doing actual video projects again.

First in line, as I have said before, is the vacation video I promised Beverly. Now we shot all photos so it's not going to be a pure video style project. Bt it will definitely be a very animated project. That's cause I'm going to use this as my testing grounds for learning Apple Motion.


What is Apple Motion?

The easiest way to describe Apple Motion would be to say I can use it place 2D objects in 3D space and move a camera anywhere in that 3D space to film those objects.

The Vacation Video

This is one of the reasons that I decided to start with the pictures of our vacation. We shot over 1300 photos in the course of a week. That means I probably ended up with a few hundred decent pictures to actually use. That's about normal. There must be some type of mathematical metric to describe that ratio.

I know, I know. You're not really interested in seeing pictures from my vacation in Florida. I get it. You'd rather see video of your favorite TV or movie stars. Well that won't be here anymore. But what will be here is an attempt to do the most technically challenging work that I've ever tried pushing the tools to the limit. That may not interest you but it made me want to continue vidding again.

Motion Comic

Then there's the motion comic. I'm not completely sure what will be required for this. It's a learning experience. But that will be part of the fun. Learning something new. I get to do a lot of drawing and figure out ways to convert those drawings into individual pieces on the computer and animate them in Motion.

Something To Do With A Whiteboard

The last thought I've had is want to do something with a whiteboard and cut-out animation, like Terry Gilliam did for Monty Python. This is actually the project that will not be done in Motion. I'd like to take this back to the original methods as much as possible.

And Maybe Even A Mashup

Contrary to popular belief I may still do an opening credit vid. It just won't be a mashup like I used to do. I'll have to find some video I can use then sift through the copyright free music for something that sounds like an opening. But I've done enough of them I should be able to create something that looks and feels right. And since the vacation vid will take a while [seeing I have to learn Motion as well as edit a whole lot of pictures] I may just pop one out. Just cause I need to create something in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment