Sunday, January 29, 2012

PD - CC - (C) - The Alphabet Soup

projector, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fumeo9250_gold.png

Is That Film Really Public Domain?

That's a question I've been asking myself quite a lot lately. Because sometimes I just can't tell. I find conflicting information as to a film's status. One web site states a film is Public Domain. Then another one says there;s still a copyright on the film. It's hard to start on a project if you really don't know the status of the film you want to work with.

internet archive

The Internet Archive

The Internet Archive is a wonderful place to find source material. And I figured it was a safe bet that anything on that site would be usable in this new arena I'm in. But it seems that I may have been mistaken. A film may be on that site due to an uploading believing that a film is Public Domain. They aren't trying to fool anyone but merely have incorrect information.

But that makes it bad for people like me. I'm trying an experiment and would love to depend on other people posting things correctly. This means I will have to check and double check every film I download from there now.

Another time I found a reference to the 1930s Buck Rogers serial as being Public Domain. "This is great", I thought, "I really think I could do something interesting with this.". But then I came to find out that there were actually two made during the 1930s. And the one I thought I would be able to do something with is not Public Domain.

So I deleted it from my library as it's basically unusable for me in this venture.

comicWeb, web site,I found some old video from movie serials on blip.tv and followed it to ComicWeb.com. There's old Buck Rogers, Mandrake the Magician, and Brick Bradford. But they're all in different states of Copyright. That means that I need to research each and everyone before they can be used.

And That's Why I'm Here

But that's what this site is all about. Showing that using only Public Domain and Creative Commons I can still put out the same quality as I did with the popular fandom shows. There just isn't as much of a fandom for these films as there is for what's currently on the boob tube.

smile, http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Happy_Old_Man-crop.tif&page=1But I don't do it for the hits. I do it cause it makes me smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment