Thursday, January 26, 2012

Night of the Living Dead [1]

drawingBoard, Scanned picture from a publication issued by the company S.K.F. (SKF) around 1940-45.

The Race Is On - 25 JAN 2012

The movie is clipped... The music is selected... Final Cut Pro is engaged.

Sounds like I'm ready to rock.

Now it's time to start vidding

But This Time It's Different

But why is it different? Previously, when I made a TV Opening Mashup, I had the blueprint all laid out for me. I knew exactly what each clip needed to look like. This time, I'm on my own. It's up to me to decide how this opening will play out.

But You've Done That Before

Yes I did. Twice! First with Shawn of the Pineapple. I got to decide which clips I was going to use, the order they would be in and pacing of the opening. I noticed that it was a bit more difficult than just matching up clips to a pre-existing pattern. Previously I created an Inspector Spacetime using the 1965 Doctor Who and the Daleks movie theme.

Those were two of the hardest mashups I did because they took a lot more thought to create.

The Timeline

I've got the music laid in and have plotted out the breaks where I need the credits to begin. It's not a large cast so the task is quite simple. I am, however, adding the actor who played the first zombie. I figure in the series we'd need a zombie leader. Does a zombie pack have a leader? Well this one does...

The First Clips Are Placed

The build is taking shape. I've designed a sequence that I will follow for each actor. Conformity is key for this aspect. And even though I've clipped a lot of the movie, I still occasionally need to go back and search for a new clip that might fit better.

Title Thoughts

I'm still up in the air about the font to use. Should I stay with a standard readable font or go find an interesting horror style font. There's still time.

And also should I animate the titles? I was thinking about some of the effects I've seen on other horror movies and shows. Might one of those styles of effects be a good fit? There's always that really cheesy wavy style that I've seen on a multitude of horror films.

The Theme Song

I'm really beginning to like the music I found for this opening. At one minute and 40 seconds it has all the right parts. A nice intro, two slightly different middle stanza, and a quick ending. And remarkably it allowed me to fit all the characters in without it feeling either too cramped or too spread out.

Ending Thoughts

Although I hesitated getting this started I'm glad I finally got moving on it. I guess I was missing the standard themes I used to work with and the tons of footage I used from popular TV shows.

And surprisingly, a few more thoughts started popping up in my brain regarding a few other Public Domain movies.

But that will have to wait until I get the project started already on the drawing board...

No comments:

Post a Comment