Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Let There Be Music!

shareAlike

Previously on greenpear...

When I started into this venture I figured I'd be able to find enough Creative Commons music to do my motion comic. But after going through the bulk of the material on Free Music Archive I've come to find that most of it exists under the Share Alike Creative commons license. And even though I support the goal of Creative Commons I was not ready to completely give up my creation. If the music I wanted was under the non-commercial license there would be no problem.


The Solution That Felt Right

So I figured that I was going to have to go that extra mile and learn yet another program, GarageBand. It's not like I didn't have enough new stuff to learn already with Apple Motion and creating the actual comic on the computer. Now it looked like I was going to have to learn a third program to create the music.

This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a job and a girlfriend. Then I would be able to spend all my free time on this project. I like the idea but it would never become a reality. Real Life always takes precedence.

The Solution That Works

Then I began thinking about the need to delegate. Going out and finding people who have those skills I don't and seeing if they are interested in joining the project - with no possible monetary payments. Hey, I might get lucky. So I called up the guy who is a music teacher and a published musician on the side. I've heard his work and he does understand composition.

I explained that I had at first looked into using Creative Commons music but most of the licenses were the Share Alike type. And using that would not allow me to retain any control over my creation. I told him I was going to have to create my own music. He agreed that might be the only way.

Then I pitched the idea about whether he might be interested in composing music for the project. I was surprised when he said he was actually interested. I told him it would be under either the Non-Commercial or the No-Derivatives license. He had no problem with that.

The Solution That Spells Relief

Now that I don't have to worry about creating the music, only supervise it, I can concentrate on the art creation. I feel like I've made a tremendous stride forward today.

No comments:

Post a Comment